Pointerman

Pointerman
Lost River Gemstone on the left and his son Lost River Hercules on the right

Thursday, October 14, 2010

10/14/10

Well made in to Michigan and back had a real good time beautiful campsite right on the shore of the AuSable lake in Glennie Michigan.  Had beautiful weather lows in the lower 40's and highs in the upper 60's and lower 70's.  The hunting was tough we saw a ton of birds maybe 50 or 60 grouse and about the same amount of woodcock but the shooting was tough no grouse and 3 woodcock apiece.  Had some really good dog work 6 to 10 points a day but those wiley grouse would get up and walk away from a point and then flush 30 to 40 yard out in front.  Now the bad news I thought may camera was in the video bag and it was not so I did not get one single picture and we had some really beautiful points.  Here is a list of the dogs I took Patch, Gem, Herkie, Ammo, Jet, Birdie and of course Elmer the gentleman I hunted with took a Brit and a Setter.  We had great work from all of them.
  Patch didn't hunt but she had a blast around the camp site and she learned alot being around people and the other dogs in an outdoor situation.  She got out and about but I never took her out in the woods it is really thick up there and I didn't want to take a chance of losing her.  I hunted Gem 2 times even though he is supposed to be retired I just couldn't keep him from doing what he loves.  He did fine even though he tired quickly.
  Tina and I are wore out 11 hour drive one way and 3 days of hard hunting finally got the best of me was really glad when we pulled in Monday night about 8:00
  If any one would get a chance to hunt up there I would highly recommend it great habitat as far as the eye could see and just acre after acre of public ground all which hold birds just pick you up a map from the michigan DNR and have at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment