Pointerman

Pointerman
Lost River Gemstone on the left and his son Lost River Hercules on the right

Monday, February 14, 2011

2/14/2011

Well it has been a while since I have updated my blog and a lot has gone on so this may be a long one.
  During the ice storms we actually didn't get much bad weather we were right on the line and all we got was rain but I did not go to work any of those day I was home with a touch of the flu, I felt better Friday and was planning on going to work but on Thursday night Gem was not in very good shape he was having a hard time breathing so I got up Friday and was able to get him into the Vet.  My Vets are great they seem to always find time for our dogs.  They drained 9 1/2 cups of fluid from Gem's body cavity and he lost 7 pounds in about an hour and a half.  He always feels so much better when we get him drained.  Gem is doing quite well now.  Just worked around the house on the weekend and played with my new dog Rowdy.  I turned Patch and Rowdy out together and boy were they a sight they chased each other and played for about hour and they were fun to watch I figure it did Patch good to have another young dog to romp with will probably let them run together a few times a week. The puppies are doing quite well they are getting so fat.  We have started our socialization of these puppies they brought in the house every day and played with.  We want our puppies to like being around people and have a good personality which we think has all to do with their socialization at an early age.  The oldest one we call Nikki is quite a corker she is so fat but she is up and walking around and sometimes she gets aggravated and will bark it is so cute.  The 2 females are also up and about but being 5 days younger are not getting around as well as the older one.  It is amazing how much 5 days makes in a puppy at this age.
  Had a doctors appointment Tuesday and everything was fine just needed to get my prescriptions refilled.  While I was in Jasper I went to the Vet and picked up some antibiotics for Birdies leg infection.  I have been fighting this thing for months I clean it and put salve on it  but it continues to get infected.  It is just a spot on her leg that started out as a lick sore and now that it is infected it has continued to grow.  I had some antibiotics on hand and gave her those but ran out before it healed.  The Vet gave me another 2 weeks worth and we will continue to do the meds and the cleaning and salve and see if i can get this thing under control.
  My new dog rowdy has now been at our house for 2 weeks and seems to be settling in.  He spends the day while I am at work in the kennel and then spends the night in the house with me.  Gem and him are still trying to iron some thing out but we seem to be getting there.  We have had 2 minor scuffles but nothing serious.  Gem just doesn't want another dog cutting in on his territory.  He just doesn't seem to understand that he is still Pops' number one dog but I know he just a dog but he will always be my baby.
  Made a flying trip to Dublin Georgia to pick up 2 more dogs.  Justin D. Tina's youngest Son came over Friday and stayed at the house and watched Elmer and Gem for us.  We didn't think gem needed all those hours in the car and being jostled around so we were glad to have a house/dog sitter.  We left the house at 6:18 AM Saturday morning and drove 1175 miles and arrived home at 2:16 AM Sunday morning.  spent about 1 and 1/2 hours at Dublin talking to Adam hart about the dogs we just bought.  So it was some trip Atlanta at 8:00 PM on a Saturday was no fun it was bumper to bumper, door handle to door handle 6 lanes wide at 80 MPH sure was glad to get out of that town.  The rest of the trip was very uneventful just long.  Tina packed sandwiches and goodies and we did to even stop to eat.  3 pee stops going and 3 coming home and that was the only times we stopped.  I was tired but satisfied to think I still have it in me to put a day like that under my belt.
  Got to bed about 3:00 and Gem woke me up at 7:00 needing to go out so I got up and let him out and went our to check on the new dogs and they were fine but when I called Rosie out of her house she was staggering and falling down.  I knew this wasn't right so I let her loose and you could tell she was mentally sharp just uncoordinated.  I took her in the house and gave her some syrup thinking she might be hypoglicimic it seemed to help a little but I went and called the Vet emergency number and got her in at 11:45 so I left the house at 10:30 and took Justin home and went to Rural King and picked up a couple of bags of dog food.  Pulled into the Vets office just as Doctor Johnson pulled in and he started checking her out she had lost a lot of weight and was dehydrated.  They put her on an IV to get her hydrated and he wormed her and they kept her in the office overnight at this time I have not heard back from them yet.  They did a bllod panel on her and everything seemed pretty normal but they are going to do another blood panel this morning to see if they see any different readings the Doc thought giving her the syrup might have made some of the blood count readings wrong.  So I left her went home arrived around 1:00 and went out while the weather was nice and drained the hot tub going to do a little repair work and thought now was a good time to drain it and save a little on the electric bill. 
  One of the new dogs we got over the weekend is in heat and I put her and Jet together to see if they would breed.  Spice stood well and Jet mounted her but I could not get them hooked up we will try again tonight I may have to help if he can't get the job done on his own.
  My 2 new dogs are quite nice they both have excellent pedigree and both are beautiful dogs.  Run-N-Gun Savannah is liver and white and is 8 years old.  She is an old warrior you can tell by her ears and her tail that she has spent her time in the field.  Singleshot Spice is a smaller liver and white female and at this time it is hard to read her personality she is a little timid but this is the first time she has been away from her home kennel so she has some adjustments to make but both dogs are beautiful and healthy I can not wait to get them in the field and also to see what kind of puppies they will have.  I will put a couple of pictures at the bottom so you can see what they look like.  I will post later on the health of Rosie and also post some new pictures of puppies.
Run-N-Gun Savannah

Singleshot Spice

No comments:

Post a Comment